Friday, January 21, 2011

Recovering a sofa bed / lounge

I did this a while ago but thought it was worth blogging about, if only to inspire someone and perhaps save them $1000s on a new sofa.

I've had this sofa bed for about 15 years ago and it was starting to look a bit shabby.  However it was still reasonably comfortable - let's be honest, what sofa bed is ever really comfortable especially with 2 people in it...but as a lounge, this old girl still has a lot of life left in her and I liked the shape of it. I originally paid around $2000 for the lounge from Oz Designs and it is sturdy and well build so I didn't really want to spend a lot of money replacing it but I was OVER the eucalyptus green damask (especially alongside my beautiful aubergine lounges).

bad shot but I forgot to take before photos
Then I had the brilliant idea of recovering it myself.  I measured it all and managed to buy pretty much the exact amount of material I needed (I had just enough left over to recover my dining room chair seat pads).  I think it was around 4m. I bought a marco-suede as it's great for keeping clean especially with kids, dog and an active outdoor life.  I think the colour was ecru. $340 and 10 hours later here's my new sofa bed. While I was recovering the cushions I changed their shape. The back and side cushions had little wing tips which I no longer wanted so I used an old electric carving knife to reshape them. The bottom cushions that you sit on are foam and feather and I used to be forever replumping them and they used to hang over the edge of the lounge a bit so I made the new cushion covers a little smaller and now they sit much more firmly and I never have to plump them.

from the back
For the main part of the sofa - I decided to not use a slip cover as I wanted it to sit neatly and with the macrosuede there is no need to wash it as sponging with work perfectly. So I staple gunned the material to the frame and pushed it into the crevices/seams with a butter knife. 

For the arms I drew a template of the actual sofa bed rather than the old slip cover and then using upholstery thread and my trusty sewing machine, I sewed the shape then pulled it tight to ensure a good fit.

This was probably the hardest part - making sure these arms sat nicely.  It wasn't that difficult to do though as I just carefully measured the length of the arm on the side to ensure that the material didn't bunch.

I saved some money by reusing the zippers from the old cushion covers. I always use the hidden zipper method to make it look nicer and sit flat.

And here's the finished product - although with over a year of wear and tear on it since it's transformation.

And now here's the funny part:   In my usual fashion, I did this whole project the night before my daughter's birthday party and while I was also making this cake.  I wonder why I do this to myself.

At least I work well under pressure!
Fiona xx

1 comment:

  1. It turns out that even the hottest port has a few places where you can get off the beaten path. Here are some recommendations that will make you feel like you're in the know rug cleaning service in NYC


Thanks for taking the time to comment! Sorry if you have trouble commenting, you can always email me at