I bought some beautiful vintage Louis french chairs on eBay for $40 each. A fabulous price because the guy sold them as Victorian chairs, if he's used the word French they would have gone for a lot more. Yay for bargains! Well I've finished one of them and my little boy has staked a claim on it for his upcoming 5th birthday.
I have to agree with Miss Mustard Seed and say that a staple gun is totally the wrong tool for the job but it's all I had so I made do. There were a couple of points along the way where I really doubted my ability to do this and nearly gave up but I'm so pleased I kept going. That blue upholstery trim hides a multitude of sins!!
Here is the before photo.
I took me ages to remove this tapestry upholstery. I ended up with blisters and sore hands. I then sanded back the chair and painted the first coat in Dulux's Limed White and then second coat with Dulux's Limed White quarter strength. I then lightly distressed it and using a Walnut wood stain and a very fine artist's brush I highlighted the detail of the chair. I was really scared of doing this but figured that I only paid $40 for each chair that I may as well experiment with it. I then gave it all a top coat using a water based polyurethane.
I used the striped material as have made some curtains for my boy's bedroom with this material. The material also has a little bit of grey in it and it nicely matches the paint colour I used. It was really hard doing the upholstery! But I am pleased with the result.
and here is it next to the other chair I still have to do. My daughter wants this second one for her room.
|after on left and before on right.|