Thursday, August 20, 2015

Big Brother, Little Brother in ASCP Paris Grey

A few years ago now I painted a lovely vintage cabinet for a bathroom on the northern beaches. It was such a lovely old cupboard and I had to do a lot of remedial work on it but I was very happy with how it turned out, as was my customer.

A few weeks ago I found a small version of the came cupboard so I decided to paint it in ASCP Paris grey with white trim, same as big brother.

Big brother
Little brother 

For this piece I gave it a light sand just to smooth out the timber and clean it up. I then wiped it down inside and out. Old furniture is so dirty! There was a crack in the timber on the top so I used a tiny nail and some Liquid Nails to put the timber back firmly into place and then I filled the crack with timber putty. It is unnoticeable now. Pretty good for an old piece. 

I then painted the cupboard in two coats of ASCP Paris grey and when it was dry I went around the edges of the door panel and the routered edge of the top with a small paint brush and two coats of ASCP Pure White.

I then waxed it all and buffed it and distressed the edges. I then wax again to protect the timber that has been exposed when distressing.

Victorian cupboard with raised back 
42w x 38d x 85h cm. 
Beautiful as a bedside, hallway table or pop in corner somewhere.

Today I'm painting a huge sideboard in an ASCP Duck Egg and Louis Blue mix with a white wash over it. Fingers crossed it turns out like it is appearing in my head. Wish me luck :)



  1. Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is an extremely well written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I’ll certainly comeback.

  2. This is off cuts from my Curtain material, so I made hitting from that and old dollies I had. This adjusted the cabinet off. I cherish the antique look it completed off with. I settled on a, vintage look and picked my hues. I utilized Chalk paint, the hues Provence and white. I utilized the Provence as the undercoat and afterward when the paint was dry I painted white over it. I utilized vinegar to rub off where I needed the caution look. Specified By


Thanks for taking the time to comment! (Sorry if you have trouble commenting, I'm trying to sort it out)