I've been keeping an eye out for a dresser with the correct proportions for three months now. I don't have a before photo but you can imagine the poor state this was in. The Union Jack needs to be twice as wide as high. I finally found a suitable candidate in this dresser as it's 40 inches wide and 20 inches high. I drew the Union Jack on with dressmakers chalk.
I started by sanding back the dresser and priming it. Next time I do a dark coloured paint I'll make sure I either don't prime or I don't prime in white as I had to give this baby 5 coats of blue paint. I then painted on the red parts and lastly the white. I started using masking tape but ended up just painting free-hand as I wanted it all to look natural.
I then gave it all a light distressing on the edges and put back the original hardware which is gorgeous and suits the piece so well.
For the top of the dresser I sanded it then washed it down with oxalic acid to remove the black marks (always use a face mask when sanding after using oxalic acid as it can be fatal to breathe in the dust). I then top coated the raw oak with several coats of Miniwax Wipe On Poly, sanding in between each coat with superfine 0000 steel wool. I was originally going to stain this surface darker but I'm glad I didn't as the oak grain shows up beautifully.
When I bought the dresser it had a piece of oak sticking up vertically which looked weird and was backed with the piece of wood you can see in the above photo. I pulled this off and glued on the blue moulding along the back as it had cut outs from where a mirror had been previously (not when i bought it) and I wanted to cover them up.
I love this but am selling it. I wish I had room in my son's bedroom for this but I don't. I'm sure someone will snap this up. Fingers crossed.
See here for a tutorial on how to draw the Union Jack correctly.
I'd love to hear your comments.