I recently came across a beautiful velvet upholstered bench seat. The fabric was still in gorgeous condition and the tufting divine. I didn't care for the timber base but knew that it could easily be updated with a little ASCP Graphite. I thought that white was not the right choice for this seat and am so happy I went with my instincts as it turned out beautifully.
Before I started any work on this I unscrewed the upholstered part and put it aside. It's in such gorgeous vintage condition that I didn't want any paint on it or to rip the velvet. Much better to be safe than sorry.
I then spent several house on this piece as the dowels folding the base and legs together were a little loose. I removed the dowels, reglued them and also inserted some metal brackets. It's not wobbly at all now.
Once it was all structurally firm I lightly sanded it and then painted it in two coats of ASCP Graphite, a gorgeous charcoal black. I then sanded it with a sanding sponge and top coated it for durability, smoothness and sheen.
It's off to live in Wagga.
One day I'm going to give upholstery tufting a go, I'm very intrigued to see if I can do it. Next time perhaps.