I finally finished the vintage French bed and it's a beauty. I initially thought I'd paint this white but I wanted to bring out all the detail so in the end I decided to use a mix of greys.
The bed had a lot of damage so I use a fair bit of wood putty repairing it, then I primed with with 2 coats of Zinsser BIN. I initially was going to paint it white but after the primer it was lookig a little bland (could I possibly be saying that white looks bland? sacrilegious blasphemy). Anyway I decided to spray it all with a dark grey lacquer primer that I had in the shed. I then painted it with several coats of differing greys finishing off with a home made white wax. I love how the different greys bring out the details. The white wax is a perfect finish.
This bed is so pretty but I got a bit fed up with it when painting it and was thinking of selling it but my daughter is desperate for it.
So we'll keep it for a while.
We've got friends staying from overseas with us for the week and they are camped in Sasha's bedroom hence why I've staged the bed out in the garden (where I'd just finished building the slats system)
How pretty are these legs?
Once the bed is all set up in Sasha's bedroom I'll show you. I'm not sure how it's going to look with her pale blue walls, and I'm not sure if we'll keep it or sell or down the track but she can use it for a while.
The quilt cover is from Adairs, the cushion I bought in a little shop years ago in Noosa.
Here are some before photos: well actually the one of the bed head is after I'd been scrubbing and scrubbing it with cleaner and it's it's still disgusting. There was also big wads of chewing gum all over the bed.
You can see one here in the photo below.
I also replaced the bed bracketing mechanism and made new slats for it. It's very sturdy now.
No chewing gum now... thank goodness
Hope you all have a good week